♦♦Youth Triathlon Program♦♦
In conjunction with the AVTrack Club.
Tuesday, April 3 to Friday, June 15 (10 week program)
Ages 8-18 (min 5 to run this program – max 12 participants)
(if already a 2017-2018 Tsunami Swim Club member)
(if already a 2018 AVTC member)
10-week program – each week
1. Swimming (choose Monday or Wednesday or Friday) 3:45pm-4:45pm
2. Running/track (choose Tuesday or Thursday) 4pm-5:30pm
3. Biking – we will be biking on most Saturdays or Sundays – schedule will be posted each week as times and locations will differ each time.
|Sat or Sun||
(Schedule coming soon)
1. Swimming requirements: Be able to swim in any fashion one length of the main pool (25m). Proper fitting goggles.
2. Running requirements: Proper running or cross training shoes. Water bottle and sun hat.
3. Biking requirements: Be able to properly ride a bike for 10 mins or more. Well maintained bike. Front and rear working lights. Proper fitting helmet. Bottle bracket and water bottle.
Optional: For those that are goal oriented, finish the program by participating in the Qualicum Beach Triathlon on June 24, 2018.
Very comfortable age appropriate youth distances and no special equipment is required.
- Healthy, active living – triathlon as a lifestyle sport
- Lifelong participation – recreation and competitive streams; developmentally appropriate training
- Safety – distance and equipment regulations
- Fun – enjoyment of sport, celebration of personal excellence and camaraderie
Does my child have to choose the same day of swimming and track every week for the 10 weeks?
This program is all about flexibility. Choose whichever day for each activity as it fits your schedule, one week might be on Monday and the next on Friday. Or if you miss a day, you can make it up the following week by doing two days.
Does my child have to participate in an actual Triathlon race?
This programs aims to train youth in all three disciplines giving them a general weekly workout so that they would be prepared to participate in a short Triathlon (also called sprint triathlon). The Qualicum Beach Annual Triathlon is a perfect example. Child and Youth distances are short and very attainable with a little bit of training.
What does the training look like?
Swimming: 1.0 hrs/week – Focus is on front crawl, stamina and overall swim conditioning. The goal is to eventually be able to swim 200m with some speed and 400m very comfortably.
Running: 1.5 hrs/week – Focus is on learning to run smoothly with an easy stride, increase stamina and speed.
Biking: 2-3 times a month – 10-25kms depending on ages and overall biking skills. Focus is on safety, learning how to use gears properly, conditioning and terrain management.
Transitions: We will go over how to efficiently transition from one sport to the next, getting equipment ready, preparing food and hydration, etc.
Does my child have to be an already good swimmer, runner and biker?
There is no expectation of high skill level. As long as your child meets the minimum prerequisites listed above they are very welcome to join in. The idea is to get kids training together, making new friends and stay healthy.
The emphasis is on participation not competition.
My child is already a very strong runner, will they be challenged in this program?
Training is individualized and youths who show high skills level will be given a hard more challenging workout to meet their training needs.
Will the bike riding be on roads?
The bike riding will be on public roads. Depending on how many youths are participating, we may require additional adults to ride along. The first ride will be shorter as we will be reviewing rules of the road and ensuring bikes and safety equipment is in working order on all bikes (please note that it is the responsibility of parents/guardians to ensure that their child’s biking equipment/safety equipment is in proper working order and up to code).
The aim is to ride on quiet and less busy road. As with any sort, there are inherent risks the may result in injuries. Please ensure your child is covered under MSP and additional extended medical and dental coverage is highly recommended.
What are some goals my child can train towards?
1. The Port Alberni 2018 Triconic offers a variety of distances for all age groups. Bike (may 27), Run (June 17), Swim (July 8)
2. The Qualicum Beach Triathlon is a great short distance event for all ages. June 24.